Skincare Routine: 1980s vs Now
– Oh, what does that do? – I don’t know, but I learned it on TikTok so it must work. (upbeat music) (kid laughing) – Hey, I’m Kim. – I’m Lola. – She’s my daughter. – She’s my mother. – It seems very strange that teenagers these days are not having awkward faces.
So I asked her what her skin care routine is. And she thought of this idea for a video that we should compare my eighth grade skincare routine to hers. – Mine. – But I thought I would surprise you, Lola, and show you some pictures when I was your age.
I’m gonna do one at a time. – Okay. – Is that eighth grade? – That’s seventh grade. – We look sort of the same. – Right? – Like our noses or the same, at least in seventh grade. – Okay, the second one.
– Is that in eighth grade? (laughs) – That’s eighth grade. – You look so miserable. – I had not mastered- – Here, ready? – See, you look cute doing that, I just like mean, okay. That was sixth grade. You look like you would be in the Beatles.
– Beatles? – Like with the shirt and the haircut. – Okay, thank you. And then look at that one. – Are those shoulder pads? – Yes, they are. – What was the point of shoulder pads? – To look amazing. So let me walk you through my skincare routine.
Noxzema, okay, so I’m gonna do it for you, ready? Smell it. – Oh my god, it smells like lemon. – It’s not lemon, it’s like menthol. It’s like a menthol. Okay, here’s how you do it, ready? – That’s so much.
– Yeah. – You have to put water on your face first. – No you don’t. – Yes you do. – No you don’t. – ‘Cause then it doesn’t like get- – It’s fine, it’s fine. You do this, oh my gosh, my skin is burning.
It’s burning, that means it’s- – Because you didn’t put water on your skin. – No, it’s like a menthol. Ooh, ooh. You get a warm washcloth of water and then you wipe it off. – That’s not right. – When it gets into your eyes, it kinda blinds you a little bit, but that was it.
That was my skincare routine. And then if I had a zit, I had a secret ingredient of what I do. Thank you. Take some toothpaste, and then I would put it all over my face at night. So what do you think of my skincare routine? – You don’t have moisturizer.
You don’t use serum, correct? – They didn’t have serum in 1989. Now, will you walk me through your skincare routine? – Yes. Okay, first I use the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser. And first you need to wet your face, and then you put it on and you mix it in your hands to get like a foam.
– Okay. – ‘Cause it’s supposed to be foam. – Okay. – And then you put it on, be very gentle. – You don’t just like slather it on? – No, you just be very gentle. You’re not supposed to rub it off. That’s really bad for your skin.
– Really? – Yes. – I still rub my… – And then I use my Niacinamide 10% and Zinc 1% from The Ordinary It’s serum. – Yeah. – I got it from Ulta. It’s actually really cheap and I actually really love it.
It’s Niacinamide, and put it on the center of your palm, and then you have to like. – Can I use this? – Yeah. Once it’s like mostly absorbed, I use a jade roller. So you just roll it in. – So what does a jade roller do? – You know how in the morning where you’re face feels really puffy and like? – Yeah.
– So pretty much, it gets rid of the puffiness. ‘ Cause like circulation? What’s it called? Like your blood needs to, I don’t know, but it does something. – Sounds like you fell for some marketing. – Oh it feels good.
– And I do have zits, my skin is not perfect. I have like. – You have very good skin. – This is the daily moisturizing lotion. So you put a little tiny bit, ’cause I already put on some today. This is a face mask and you put it on, and it’s supposed to like- – Okay, put it on.
What is it? – Then you turn it on. It’s from Neutrogena. – This is the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask. – Do you feel like it helps with acne? – Honestly, I don’t know, but it feels really good ’cause it like kind of burns a little in a good way, you know? – LED, let’s hope this is safe.
And your eyes feel good? – Oh, you’re supposed to close your eyes, so. This is the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, and- – And when do you use this? – At night, you put it on right before you go to bed. – So you use this instead of toothpaste.
– Yes. – Noted. Now it is time to compare makeup routines. So my makeup, when I went into eighth grade, my mother finally allowed me to wear mascara and eyeliner and a little bit of foundation. I used the tinted Clearasil and I would take it and I would put it all over each one of my zits.
So I would do like this and it was tinted Clearasil. – Like blob it on there? – Blob it on there. And then I would just kind of barely, but not good enough, like blend it like this. And then my face was a different shade than my neck.
I would do blue eyeliner. I would do it underneath my eyes. And then I would take blue mascara, and I would do my blue mascara. Okay, and then I would take white eyeliner, and I would go inside my eyes.
– That looks really painful. – Yeah, I would go into my eye. Done, five minute makeup routine. I think it’s good. I think the Clearasil, ’cause- – The Clearasil was a stretch. – I’m just wondering like, why would you use blue if your eyes are like greenish? – Because that’s what we did.
That’s what Debbie Gibson did, and whatever Debbie did, I did. Okay, take us through your routine. – So first I use primer. I have like seven primers, but I just had to choose a one. So you put on not that much because you don’t wanna like, and I just put on moisturizer so I don’t need to put them on that much.
But you just kind of dab it, especially where your pores are like really big. – So by the way, I don’t use primer now. I’m supposed to use primer? – Yeah, do you know what makeup does to your skin if you don’t use primer? I have two concealers.
One of them is for acne. It’s kind of like your thing, but not. And this is just concealer. And I just like dab it in the corner of my eye and just like blend. – I need some under eye concealer. And by the way, I use double duty Shape Tape, ’cause mama needs the big guns.
I can’t do store brands on that. – I like putting it like right, oh, that’s too much. I put it like right at the end of my eye too. – Oh, what does that do? – I don’t know, but I learned it on TikTok so it must work.
And then I use this thing. It’s a Goof Proof Brow Pencil. – From Benefit. – From Benefit. And you use this side to like shape it, I guess – Yeah? – And then use the other side. I just kinda like fill them in a little bit, ’cause you don’t wanna make it look bad.
– Pretty, and that looks very natural. – Yeah, I don’t use a lot of what I do use, I just use tiny little bit. I use the Glossier Balm Dotcom. I have every single one of these. – What is this? – It’s like lip balm, but you can use it for anything.
– It’s really quite nice. – And it lasts like a really long time. Like I’ll put it on before school and it lasts the entire day pretty much. And then I use the Roller Lash that I also got in my IPSY box.
It’s so cute. – So tiny, for mascara? – Yep, Mascara. You hear that ASMR? And I put like a tiny bit on the outside. And that’s it, I’m done. – You look natural and beautiful and I love it. And so appropriate for eighth grade, not at all Debbie Gibson blue.
In eighth grade in 1989, we did not have YouTube tutorials, and it showed. Thank you so much for watching Lola’s skincare awesome routine. Our camera cut off ’cause I’m super good at filming things, but thank you for watching.
Should Lola share more of like her fall, is there, fall, winter? – Yeah you like change the tones of your makeup a little bit. – I didn’t know you’re supposed to do that. Do you wanna see that? – Yes.
– Okay, bye!